Subhead


Every day a different drink. Not just how to make them, but a detailed review of how they actually taste, photos of the drinks, and stories along the way. Starting from the beginning, The Bartender's Black Book will be our guide, taking us

(and our livers) on a journey from which we may never recover. Cheers!

January 8, 2011

#8: Absinthe Drip Cocktail

1 oz Absinthe in glass
Over the Absinthe glass, place an Absinthe spoon with a sugar cube, then slowly drip 3 oz water over sugar to melt into drink.


Enough with the Absinthe already! I don't have an absinthe glass, nor an Absinthe spoon. The book calls for a short parfait glass as a replacement, but I don't have one of those either. The links at the bottom of the post today show a typical Absinthe glass and spoon. The Absinthe should rest in the reservoir at the bottom of the glass, and the slots in the handle of the spoons are to rest the spoon along the rim of the glass. The third item is an Absinthe Fountain, for chilling the ice water and dripping it carefully over the sugar cube on the spoon.

I made do with my smallest glass, and used a slotted bar mixing spoon to hold the sugar cube while it dissolved. It took a steady hand, but it worked. I don't think I could have done it very well if I had to make another one after trying this drink. Absinthe typically has a very high alcohol content, and the little bottle I have is 138 proof.

Of the Absinthe drinks so far, this was my favorite. Maybe since it is not chilled, the licorice flavor seemed a little toned down. Maybe I am becoming immune to the taste. The dissolved sugar and diluting water also contributed to make this a drink I could almost tolerate. Still, it seems like a lot of powerful flavor in a small glass.

I'm not going to do the reworked flaming version of this drink. It's not substantially different, and as the book states, it is not the "proper" recipe, it just looks cool. There's only so much Absinthe one person can tolerate.

Finally, out of 1890s Paris!

Check out today's featured item.

No comments:

Post a Comment