Subhead


Every day a different drink. Not just how to make them, but a detailed review of how they actually taste, photos of the drinks, and stories along the way. Starting from the beginning, The Bartender's Black Book will be our guide, taking us

(and our livers) on a journey from which we may never recover. Cheers!

January 18, 2011

#18: After Five

1/2 oz Coffee Liquer
1/2 oz Irish Cream
1/2 oz Peppermint Schnapps
Layer the items in this order to make this a floater.


Another floater! I had an idea for this one. I thought that maybe the surface area of the liquids was making it difficult to keep things separated, so I tried making this in a shot glass. That should give better separation, and would probably make the flavors of the drink a bit better defined.

Now typically a shot is 1-2 oz, but you can get shot glasses in sizes ranging from 1 oz up to 4 oz or more. Mine are 1 1/2 oz, which would just barely hold this. A cordial glass might work as well, but this drink filled my smaller shot glass nicely. Just keep a steady hand, I kept telling myself.

Using the shot glass and slowly spooning the ingredients onto each layer seemed to work better. Of course a pro could have done this in a few seconds, but I was not worried about taking my time.

So, this was almost the same drink as yesterday, but with Peppermint Schnapps on top. The deeper bite of the peppermint hits your tongue first, not in the middle like the drink yesterday, the After Eight.

This drink is great for cleansing the palate after dinner. It was still very sweet, but I preferred it to the previous drink. I think the added bit of the Peppermint Schnapps was what put this in a different category of flavors. It is not a large drink, but is still a powerful one for liquers.


Check out today's featured item.


No comments:

Post a Comment