Subhead


Every day a different drink. Not just how to make them, but a detailed review of how they actually taste, photos of the drinks, and stories along the way. Starting from the beginning, The Bartender's Black Book will be our guide, taking us

(and our livers) on a journey from which we may never recover. Cheers!

January 22, 2011

#22: Agent 99

3/4 oz Orange Liquer
3/4 oz Blue Curacao
3/4 oz Sambuca or Ouzo
Float these in order, from bottom to top.


Sambuca is a clear or black Italian liquer made from grapes, elderberries, and anise, and is traditionally served in a snifter with 3 coffee beans. Ouzo is is a clear, anise-flavored Greek liquer. I used Ouzo for this, as I could not find Sambuca at the local BevMo.

First thing: Ouzo is strong! Not just in flavor, but in the punch it packs. The anise, or licorice flavor was almost overpowering, especially since it was on top. After a few sips, the sweetness of the Blue Curacao came through, then the Orange Liquer, albeit very lightly. That mellowed the overall taste of the drink quite a bit, and actually made this one of my favorite drinks so far. The more the flavors mixed, the more I liked it. The licorice flavor from the Ouzo was much better than from the Absinthe in some of the earlier drinks.

As you can see in the picture, the Blue Curacao sank to the bottom. This may be due to the fact that I was using syrup, rather than the real liquer, and cheap Orange Liquer at that. But it did separate, although in a different order that the drink calls for. It was very hard to get a good photo of this, but I did my best. The photo just doesn't do justice to how this drink actually looked. It also may have done better in the taller shot glass I got, which I will use for drinks like this in the future.

I am not sure why this is called an Agent 99. It is exotic, and looks cool though. So get smart and order this when you want to look exotic and cool too.

Check out today's featured item.

No comments:

Post a Comment