Subhead


Every day a different drink. Not just how to make them, but a detailed review of how they actually taste, photos of the drinks, and stories along the way. Starting from the beginning, The Bartender's Black Book will be our guide, taking us

(and our livers) on a journey from which we may never recover. Cheers!

January 5, 2011

#5: ABC

1/2 oz Amaretto (bottom)
1/2 oz Irish Cream
1/2 oz Orange Liquer or Cognac (top)


This is a floater, so the ingredients need to be poured in the correct order, with the heaviest on the bottom. I had assumed by the small amounts that I could use a shot glass, but I wasn't even close. I luckily had measured with water, since I don't exactly have a feel for these amounts yet. A shot glass is much too small, so I moved up to my next smallest glass.

Cognac is brandy from the Cognac region of France, but I used my Orange Liquer, hoping to get a more intense flavor.

What you are supposed to do in making a floater is pour the first, heaviest ingredient into your glass, then slowly pour the next ingredient over the back of a spoon, so that the ingredients don't mix. Hah, easier said than done. Immediately everything looked like it had mixed together.

Reading up a bit, I found that you can supposedly get them to separate if you place the filled glass in a refrigerator for about an hour. In it went. 2 hours later, no separation. The only thing I can think of is that I am using really cheap ingredients, so the densities are off.

Finally I got tired of waiting, so I sipped. It had an interesting flavor, with the Amaretto almost burning initially, then smoothing out quickly after that. I could barely taste the orange underneath it all.

This would be good as a dessert drink, or an end of the night out drink. Just think if there was a Starbucks inside Harry's Bar.

Check out today's featured item.

No comments:

Post a Comment