Subhead


Every day a different drink. Not just how to make them, but a detailed review of how they actually taste, photos of the drinks, and stories along the way. Starting from the beginning, The Bartender's Black Book will be our guide, taking us

(and our livers) on a journey from which we may never recover. Cheers!

January 7, 2011

#7: Absinthe Cocktail

1 1/2 oz Absinthe
1 1/2 oz Water
Dash of Orange Bitters
Dash of Sugar Syrup
All ingredients go into a mixing glass filled with ice. Shake, then strain into a chilled glass.


OK, still on the Absinthe. At least this time I know what to expect. Orange Bitters are just bitters with orange flavorings. Typically bitters are bitter (duh) alcohols made from herbs, bark, roots, plant extracts, flowers, and fruits, and are used in many drinks. Do not try them on their own, they are horrible. Believe me, I did once, and man was it bad.

The Simple Syrup was easy to make, dissolving equal parts sugar into boiling water. After letting it cool, I put it in an extra water bottle, and should have enough to last quite awhile.

I made a mistake on the recipe here. I forgot to strain this into a chilled glass. Not sure if this would have made much of a difference in the taste, but I honestly didn't feel like tasting this one again.

As before, the licorice or anise flavor is super strong. More tolerable than the previous drink (#6), the Orange Bitters and Sugar Syrup tone it down, or at least make it more palatable. I can't see having more than one of these, and even getting through one is a task in itself. It is starting to taste like I ate a whole case of Black Licorice Twizzlers.

More than 1 and I might start walking like Toulouse-Latrec.

Check out today's featured item.

No comments:

Post a Comment