Subhead


Every day a different drink. Not just how to make them, but a detailed review of how they actually taste, photos of the drinks, and stories along the way. Starting from the beginning, The Bartender's Black Book will be our guide, taking us

(and our livers) on a journey from which we may never recover. Cheers!

March 31, 2011

#85: Apple Polisher

2 oz Southern Comfort
Fill with hot apple cider
Garnish with a cinnamon stick


I'm glad I was able to capture the effervescent bubbles coming off of the cinnamon stick on this drink. It imparted a pleasantly strong cinnamon flavor to the whole drink, which diffused nicely throughout and blended with the hot apple cider for a cozy drink. The Southern Comfort, with its blend of fruits, spices, and whiskey, added a kick at the end of each sip.

Of course, apples and cinnamon go together. Pies, desserts, and now drinks. the first was a bit odd. I think I must have made some sort of face, because my wife commented, asking if everything was all right. It was all right, and the more I sipped, the more I liked it.

The cinnamon stick stopped bubbling after a couple of minutes, which was ok, considering that those bubbles combined with the strong vapors and aroma of the hot apple cider and now warmed Southern Comfort might have caused me to choke up a bit.

In the end, I decided that this would be a great drink for a cool October evening.

************

I honor of the opening of the new Star Wars Miniland at the Legoland California Theme Park here in San Diego, I found this awesome photo of 2 guys with what may be one of the best jobs in the world. Can you imagine being paid to build the Millenium Falcon out of Legos?


From their website, I garnered a few items about what went into this latest attraction. They made over 2,000 Star Wars models at the park in Germany, with 8 designers and 2 animation electricians building everything for the 7 interactive exhibits. They started planning a year in advance, and used drawing from Lucasfilms of the figures, spacecraft, vehicles, and landscapes to create their own Lego blueprints. Those special blueprints were gridded out in squares, where each square equalled one Lego knob. Next they calculated how many bricks and which colors they would need. Some of the models had to be prototyped first, before they constructed them with actual Legos. As the final models were built, they glued the pieces together and then coated everything with a special UV coating to help everything last longer.

I can't wait to take my grandson there. I might have more fun than him!

No comments:

Post a Comment