Subhead


Every day a different drink. Not just how to make them, but a detailed review of how they actually taste, photos of the drinks, and stories along the way. Starting from the beginning, The Bartender's Black Book will be our guide, taking us

(and our livers) on a journey from which we may never recover. Cheers!

March 4, 2011

#63: Angel Wing (floater)

1 1/2 oz White Creme de Cacao
1/2 oz Irish Cream
Float the ingredients with the first item on the bottom


First things first. I made this incorrectly at first, using Creme de Menthe instead of Creme de Cacao. Once I corrected that, things were much better. In fact, it was a completely different drink, and much better as a result. The main thing was that the ingredients separated properly, which tells me that the Creme de Menthe and the Creme de Cacao must have different densities.




Here's how I feel about rushing through making this drink without taking the time to think it through:



I liked this a lot more than I thought I would, and I could have had more. But it would be hard to make this much larger and retain it as a floater. Of course, it was not minty in the correct form, but it was mellow and creamy with a strong chocolate tone. Heavenly.

****************

On to a more serious note:

All of the current unrest in the Middle East has made me think about the liberties and freedoms we have here in America, as well as how hard we need to fight for them. The First Amendment issue the Supreme Court ruled on the other day also made me sit up and take notice. I am no fan of the Westboro Church protesting at service members funerals. I find it horrible and disgusting. But I firmly believe in their right to do that, and my right to write about it. I know that the Amendments to theConstitution aren't necessarily written in any order of importance, but maybe there is a reason why the Freedom of Speech is First. I think it may be the most important of them all, for without it we lose all abilities to conduct the others.

One of my heroes has always been Henry David Thoreau, the great writer, who wrote about and practiced civil disobedience. His musings on nature weren't half bad either. One of the things he wrote that has stuck with me is the following:

To be a hero is to live your life in a small cell whose bars are the principles and rules that define what you will and won't accept.

Well, on the night they threw Thoreau in jail for civil disobedience, a friend came to see him and asked him "What are you doing in here?", dumbfounded that such a gentle man would be in jail.

Thoreau asked back "The question is, what are you doing out there?"

Check out today's featured item.


Check out today's featured item.


2 comments:

  1. As much as I detest Westboro, I was glad when I heard the Supreme Court ruled in their favor. I felt that, according to the constitution, that was the right choice. In some bizarre way, it gives me hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I honestly feel that we have a deep moral obligation to defend even the most disgusting segments of our society when they are right, or we will lose those right ourselves. I heard a report on NPR about the Westboro "church", and surprisingly they are all trained educated lawyers that accept no donations (not that they would get many) who feel they are ethically and religiously obligated to do what they do. But the people in their town actually do more than tolerate them, they hire their firm quite frequently because they are really good at what they do. The media may portray them as a bunch of backwards hicks, but they aren't. They may be a lot of things (offensive, narrow-minded, etc), but they aren't stupid. It takes a lot of guts to do what they do=, knowing that not very many people will agree with them.

    ReplyDelete