Subhead


Every day a different drink. Not just how to make them, but a detailed review of how they actually taste, photos of the drinks, and stories along the way. Starting from the beginning, The Bartender's Black Book will be our guide, taking us

(and our livers) on a journey from which we may never recover. Cheers!

March 1, 2011

#60: Amsterdam Blackout

3/4 oz Absinthe
3/4 oz over proofed Rum
3/4 oz Jagermeister


Great Odin's Left Nut! Or Odin's Great Left Nut, I'm not sure which is more appropriate. The name of the drink says it all here.

To start, I didn't have a shot glass tall enough for all of the ingredients, but I realized that the recipe is basically equal amounts of all three, so I used 1/2 oz increments.

The look was nice, but gave indication of the seriousness that lay within. Damn, I seriously could not finish this drink, even when made in a smaller amount. One sip and I had to sit down, it was so strong.

It burned from the absinthe (70% alcohol), the Jagermeister made it sweet, and the over-proofed 151-proof rum (75% alcohol), provided a seriously strong platform for destruction. Eye watering, wanton destruction.

I have had shots of 100-proof vodka in my day, and even 180-proof grain alcohol, and this took top honors. They have nothing on this. An Amsterdam Blackout can take them all down, and not even break a sweat.

The flavors weren't bad, but they will kick you in the gonads, prompting a stint to the couch to lay down for a few minutes. I could barely read my notes for this when I typed it up. My eyes were still watering, my mouth was burning, and I am sure I looked like a character from a Tex Avery cartoon. In the end, I decided that mere mortal words can not do this drink justice. You have to try it for yourself.



Check out today's featured item.

No comments:

Post a Comment