Subhead


Every day a different drink. Not just how to make them, but a detailed review of how they actually taste, photos of the drinks, and stories along the way. Starting from the beginning, The Bartender's Black Book will be our guide, taking us

(and our livers) on a journey from which we may never recover. Cheers!

March 13, 2011

#72: Antiquan Kiss

1/2 oz Light Rum
1/2 oz Dark Rum
1/2 oz Apricot Brandy
1/2 oz Peach Schnapps
Dash of Cranberry Juice
Combine ingredients in a tall glass with ice, fill with orange juice, and shake


Well, I'm not sure what the name of this drink really means or refers to. Antiqua is Latin for antique, but I don't know what's so old about this. The more relevant source would be the rum referring to Antiqua, the Caribbean island. So that sort of makes sense as a reference, except that's not how the island is mentioned, it would be Antiguan, with a 'g'. Oh well, as we have seen, the Good Book is not perfect. And figuring that out after the fact, I sort of wished I had used a different backdrop for my photo, maybe something with a bit of an island theme. I'll try to be more aware of those kinds of things in the future.

I couldn't really taste much alcohol in this, as the amounts of each are pretty small. The dark rum and the cranberry juice added a little darkening to the overall color, but that was about it.

I would say to use a shorter glass that I did, or double the measures of each alcoholic ingredient to 1 oz. That might help the overall drink taste less like just orange juice, and maybe have a bit of a kick. Even the other fruit flavors, the apricot and the peach, were so diluted that they were almost indiscernible.

I guess if you want an alcohol-light orange drink, this could work. It just doesn't have anything special going for it. Nothing stands out, so don't expect much. I hate to say this after the entire process of making and shooting this drink, but it was pretty boring.

Check out today's featured item.

No comments:

Post a Comment