Subhead


Every day a different drink. Not just how to make them, but a detailed review of how they actually taste, photos of the drinks, and stories along the way. Starting from the beginning, The Bartender's Black Book will be our guide, taking us

(and our livers) on a journey from which we may never recover. Cheers!

February 19, 2011

#50: Amarist

1 oz Amaretto
1 oz Orange Liquer
Pour into a snifter glass, then microwave for 10-15 seconds.


Dude, what's that smell? No, seriously, what is that? Did you step in something? Back there, when we passed that dumpster. Check the bottom of your shoes, please. Just stop, and look. We can scrape it off. OK, I'll look. Lift your foot up and I'll look. C'mon, stop! That's it, I'm not walking with you anymore. Just go on ahead. I'll stay back here and breathe some clean air. Go on, don't even turn around, just head on back to the office. I'll catch up. Hey, why am I still smelling it? Damn, what is that? Rick, wait, look at this on my shoe…

Pure, undiluted alcohol. Nothing in the way. I took the photograph first, then microwaved the drink. I was a little concerned, never having had a microwaved alcoholic drink before. I carefully tested how warm the glass was before going in for a sip. And then the coughing started. The small mouth of the snifter glass focused the vapors and funneled them right into my face. With my mouth open for a sip, the vapors caused a bout of hacking that took a few seconds to get past. That did not bode well for actually tasting the Amarist.

It was super sweet. Orange, vanilla, and almonds. That was it. Nothing more, nothing less. I actually snuck a taste of this before I heated it up, and it definitely was better warmed. It brought a bit of a burn, especially going down. My whole chest felt the heat. St. Bernards should carry this instead of brandy for rescued skiers.

Check out today's featured item.

No comments:

Post a Comment