Subhead


Every day a different drink. Not just how to make them, but a detailed review of how they actually taste, photos of the drinks, and stories along the way. Starting from the beginning, The Bartender's Black Book will be our guide, taking us

(and our livers) on a journey from which we may never recover. Cheers!

February 15, 2011

#46: Almond Kiss (aka Cocoetto)

2 oz Amaretto
Fill with hot chocolate, stir, top with whipped cream, then place chocolate kiss or shaved chocolate on top.


In honor of IBM's Watson computer playing two human opponents on Jeopardy tonight, I wanted to relay a dream I had last night.

Several people were all standing on the porch of a rundown home, waiting for an answer to our knock at the door. My wife, my brother, myself, and oddly, Alex Trebek. We were all dressed in suits or, in my wife's case, a skirt and blouse, but we looked like we had stepped out of the pages of a hard-boiled detective novel. I could sense that we were at this house looking for answers. To what, I don't know.

I knocked on the door, and after several seconds, someone answered. I never got a good look at who it was. All I heard was Alex Trebek saying, in a thick Irish brogue

"After I touched my gonads, everything became clear."

Luckily I woke up right then. Almost a full day later, and I still have no idea what that was all about.

******************

Strong and pungent, the smell of fame, money, and not caring. Wait, maybe it's almonds, vanilla, and chocolate. You think, Hey, did I spill something in here during that late night movie fest, chowing down on a tub of Ben & Jerrys? Guess not. It's just an Almond Kiss. You could call it a Cocoetto, but that's really pushing it.

Shaved chocolate is a tough thing to pull off correctly. Which I didn't. I was expecting long slices as I used my high-grade peeler, but I basically got small shavings. They still tasted good though. I could have put a chocolate kiss on top instead, but low grade milk chocolate like that tends to looks pretty splotchy when photographed up close, so I went the shaved route.

The almond of the Amaretto was very good with the hot chocolate, almost like it was made for just this kind of drink. It was nice and warm great as an after dinner drink, by the fire, on cold nights. Mix and match here. The Almond Kiss has a fairly low alcohol content, so you could have several.

Check out today's featured item.


No comments:

Post a Comment